Outsourced Migration Guide (Spanish Translation)
In early April, the PMC published the Spanish translation of the Outsourced Migration Guide under the title Guía de redacción de licitaciones para la externalización de procesos de migración de contenidos audiovisuales.
The MSC is happy to announce that the Media Studies Grant 2022 papers are available on the FIAT/IFTA website.
- Broadcasting UK Feminist Video: Mapping Local Histories and Transnational Networks of the 1980s in the BFI Archive by Dalila Missero, Lancaster University.
- How Music Shapes the News: A Postcolonial Look at Polygoon Newsreels, 1930-87 by Emily Hansell Clark, University of Amsterdam.
The Media Studies Grant 2023 papers will be published next year.
Guide to Managing Rights and Risks in Audiovisual Archives
In September, the VUC published a new paper on various topics relevant to managing rights and risks in archival content, including understanding risk profiles, due diligence, orphan works, legitimate interests, use of open licences, ethical considerations and GDPR regulations.
Unlocking the Past: A Comprehensive Guide to Managing Rights and Risks in Audiovisual Archives is available to read and download from the FIAT/IFTA website.
In 2024, more case studies will be shared to continue the discussion on rights and risk management.
New Report on Beyond Search
In October, the Audiovisual Research Alliance, in collaboration with FIAT/IFTA’s VUC, released Beyond Search: Exploring Creative Approaches to Interfacing with Cultural Heritage Collections (A Case Study Analysis) written by independent researcher Nadia Piet.
Beyond Search delves into the realm of digital audiovisual (AV) archives, focusing on user experience and advocating for the integration of exploratory approaches alongside conventional search.
Drawing on a series of illustrative case studies, this report showcases innovative practices in the cultural heritage domain. Furthermore, it looks beyond archives to seek inspiration from practitioners in other disciplines, such as artists, filmmakers, and community initiatives grappling with similar questions.
FIAT/IFTA published multiple survey results in 2023:
- How far are you willing to open? A Rai survey on disclosing archives to the world by Valentina Martone (RAI), Daniela Floris (RAI), Lucia Falco (RAI), and Gabriele Di Matteo (RAI).
- The Use of AI in Media Archives by the MMC.
- FIAT/IFTA Timeline Survey 2023 by the MMC.
These results are available to download below.