The FIAT/IFTA World Conference 2023 took place on October 17th – 20th. Over 200 attendees joined FIAT/IFTA in Locarno, Switzerland, for its 47th conference under the theme Blame it on the algorithm!
Join us as we look back at FIAT/IFTA’s return to Europe after nearly four years!
The FIAT/IFTA Office shared a selection of pictures from the World Conference with our participants via email for them to download.
We’ve also curated a small selection of pictures from the conference for those who couldn’t join us!
FIAT/IFTA’s three-day conference had over 50 sessions comprised of presentations and panel discussions. The conference also counted with a pre-conference day, with FIAT/IFTA Commission meetings, workshops, and a special event for SRG SSR, the host of the World Conference.
Our Keynote sessions were given by:
- Tom De Smet, Nationaal Archief (National Archives of the Netherlands).
- Leonard Bouchet, RTS.
You can access the entire programme on the scheduling tool Sched.
We will share the slides on the FIAT/IFTA website to download on Tuesday, November 6th, with a selection of video recordings being published at a later date.
The Archive Achievement Awards
The FIAT/IFTA Archive Achievement Awards ceremony occurred on the Thursday, October 19th, evening at the PalaCinema Locarno. During the event, the FIAT/IFTA community celebrated the achievements of our colleagues and then had the screening of the 2022 winner of the Excellence in Archive Production award.
The 2023 award winners were:
- Excellence in Media Management: FAIR Archive Opening: SRG Archives for academical use by Theo Mäusli (SRG SSR), Cécile Vilas (Memoriav) & Markus Zürcher (SAGW).
- Excellence in Media Preservation: RTÉ Audio Content Digitisation Project – Measuring the Invaluable: Strategies for Mass-digitisation and Migration of 20th Century Media Formats by RTÉ Archives.
- Excellence in Unlocking the Value and Potential of Archives: HOW SEXISM SHAPED OUR TEENAGE YEARS by RTVE Archives.
- Excellence in Archive Production: The Myth Machine by Uri Rosenwaks (IPBC).
You can learn more about the winners and shortlisted nominees of the 2023 edition of the FIAT/IFTA Archive Achievement Awards here.
On the final night of the FIAT/IFTA World Conference, the FIAT/IFTA President, Brecht Declercq, shared with the attendees of the Gala Dinner the location of next year’s World Conference.
We are proud to announce that the FIAT/IFTA World Conference 2024 will take place in Bucharest, Romania, with the support of our host, TVR.
More information will be available on the FIAT/IFTA World Conference page at a later date.