The main goals of the FIAT/IFTA Media Studies Commission:
The Media Studies Commission’s main aims are:
- To act as a liaison group whereby access to television archives and collections for academic study is facilitated and as a pressure group to achieve this aim.
- To provide a platform for the international exchange of information and material in relation to archive access.
- To investigate and promote the uses of digital technologies in the achievement of these aims.
- to organise the presentation of papers resulting from the study of TV Archive material at FIAT/IFTA conferences and other appropriate events and the publication of research in FIAT/IFTA and other appropriate publications.
- to bring the results of research to the attention of FIAT/IFTA members and to make it available for their use, e.g. by organizing the Television Studies Grant initiative on behalf of FIAT/IFTA.
The Media Studies Commission’s core membership is drawn from FIAT/IFTA members, but it is intended that the commission should have an associate membership of those academics and students interested in the use of television archives in all fields of academic study.
The FIAT/IFTA Media Studies Grant
To enhance collaboration between research and archive communities and ensure the valorization of academic knowledge for archival practice as well as to promote research of holdings of member television archives, the Media Studies Commission of the International Federation of Television Archives has set up the Media Studies Grant. This programme offers support for research done at member television archives with the aim to study archival material or archiving practices from these institutions. Priority is given to projects that research topics that are relevant for the history of the archive institution, for European television history or for archival practice.
Herbert Hayduck (ORF)
Dana Mustata (University of Groningen)
Andy O’Dwyer (University of Luxembourg)
Claude Mussou (INA)
Silvia Proscia (RAI)
Masaya Maéda (NHK)
Daniela Floris (RAI)
David Doukhan (INA)
Virginia Bazán Gil (RTVE)
Blago Markota (HRT)
Lisa Kerrigan (BFI)
Bas Agterberg (Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision)
Liam Wylie (RTÉ)