What do we do?
The main objective of the Preservation & Migration Commission (PMC) is to deal with aspects related to the preservation and migration of any kind of audiovisual content on a long-time perspective. This concerns analogue as well as digital material, audio, video as well as film, and the different solutions in order to guarantee the accessibility of audiovisual contents. The topics dealt by the commission include:
- Analogue and Digital Preservation Processes
- Digital Migration
- Long-term Digital Preservation, e.g. via Media Asset Management systems (MAM)
- Digital Restoration and Quality improvement
- File Formats and StandardsThe Preservation
Migration Commission encourages the constant innovations and the spreading of best practices in this domain. It also works on the deeper understanding of the norms and standards in these domains in the broad audiovisual archival sector.
How do we do it?
- Contributing to the annual FIAT/IFTA -Conference
- Liaisons with other professional organisations (IASA, AMIA, SEAPAVAA, PrestoCentre, EBU)
- Consulting for FIAT/IFTA members and non-members
- Publications, such as the Guideline for the Outsourced Migration of Audiovisual Data Carriers
Laurent Boch, RAI – chair
Etienne Marchand, INA – co-chair
Denise Barcella, RTS
Christoph Bauer, ORF
Bruno Burtre, NOA
Adrian Chan, National Archive of Singapore
Brecht Declercq, Meemoo
Gabriele Di Matteo, RAI
Charles Fairall, BFI
Jörg Houbert, Cube-Tec
Richard Wright, Preservation Guide