MEDIA STUDIES SEMINAR 2019
Media Studies Seminar 2019 on March 14th Belval, Luxembourg.
The one-day seminar focused on exploring the historical events of 1989 that witnessed the collapse of communist regimes in Europe through the lens of archival material and media representations, different archive-based productions (including documentaries and exhibitions) as well as through the lens of multidisciplinary academic research carried out at various archives across the world.
Presentations focused on the following subjects:
- Archival and scholarly research on the collapse of communist regimes in 1989 in Europe;
- The televising of the fall of the Iron Curtain across different countries;
- Studies dealing with socialist television before and in the aftermath of the fall of the Iron Curtain;
- Changes in media systems post-1989;
- (Re)configuring of Europe through the media during and after the Cold War;
- Stories from outside Europe: televising 1989 European events across the globe;
- Media productions showcasing and re-using archival footage of the 1989 events.