The Media Studies Commission’s main aims are:
- To act as a liaison group whereby access to television archives and collections for academic study is facilitated and as a pressure group to achieve this aim.
- To provide a platform for the international exchange of information and material in relation to archive access.
- To investigate and promote the uses of digital technologies in the achievement of these aims.
- to organise the presentation of papers resulting from the study of TV Archive material at FIAT/IFTA conferences and other appropriate events and the publication of research in FIAT/IFTA and other appropriate publications.
- to bring the results of research to the attention of FIAT/IFTA members and to make it available for their use, e.g. by organizing the Television Studies Grant initiative on behalf of FIAT/IFTA.
- Its core membership is drawn from FIAT/IFTA members, but it is intended that the TSC should have an associate membership of those academics and students interested in the use of television archives in all fields of academic study.