Some members of the MMC at the Lugano Media Management Seminar.
MMC Publication: Changing Sceneries Changing Roles
BBC Scotland hosted the 7th Media Management Seminar “Changing Sceneries Changing Roles: Setting the Standard in 2nd Generation MAM systems and Metadata” on 21-22 May 2015 at the University of Strathclyde’s brand new Technology and Innovation Centre in Glasgow.
We have collated presentations from the seminar in this MMC publication to give a broader audience the opportunity to take part in the interesting subjects discussed but it will also serve as a reminder for the delegates present in Glasgow.
With thanks to all the authors for their contributions.
What do we do?
The Media Management Commission specialises in current and future trends in metadata and media management and in their causes and consequences when it comes to:
- The archive as an organisation
- The technologies used
- The skills of the archivists
Aspects of metadata and media management are (non-exhaustive):
- Strategies for Media Asset Management in general, but focusing on metadata in particular (models, dictionaries, quality criteria …):
- Administrative metadata
- Technical metadata
- Preservation metadata
- Rights metadata
- Descriptive metadata
- Strategies for enabling search and retrieval: interfaces and presentation of search results
- Strategies for enhancement and contextualisation: linked data and semantics
- Strategies for the flow of media and the creation of metadata during this flow:
- Integrated workflows through the process of creation, delivery, use and re-use.
- Automatic feature extraction such as speech and image recognition
- Tagging and other kinds of user generated metadata
- The impact of new delivery channels such as multi-media platforms and social media on the above.
How do we do it?
- Training, by organizing seminars for documentalists, media managers, management, technical archive staff.
- Contributing to the annual FIAT-Conference
- Building liaisons with other professional organisations (SMPTE, EBU, EDL, JTS, UNESCO, ARSC, AMIA, PrestoCentre)
- Consulting for FIAT members and non-members
Xavier Jacques-Jourion – RTBF – Chair
Vicky Plaine – BBC Scotland – Co Chair
Eva-Lis Green, SNL
Jacqui Gupta – BBC
Adrienne Warburton – RTÉ
Elena Brodie – Consultant US
Eric Minoli – TFO
Gerhard Stanz – ORF
Jennifer Wilson – BBC Scotland
Kaisa Unander – SNL
Rita Marques – TV Cultura
Marcia de Simoni – Globosat
Tim Manders – NISV
Karin van Arkel – NISV
Sarah-Haye Aziz – RSI
Anne Couteux – INA
Eleonore Alquier – INA
Nobuhisa Yamashita – NHK
Yasuhiko Iwasaki – NHK Enterprises
Emanuele Balossino – mediaset.it
Arai Hirokasu – NHK
Anna Abenius – SVT
Alessandra Luciano – National Library Luxembourg